17 Flowers That Are Poisonous to Cats (Spoiler: No Poinsettias)
Here is the ASPCA’s list of the 17 most toxic plants to steer your cat away from.
Members of the Lilium species are highly toxic to cats. Many types of lily, such as tiger lily, Asian, Japanese, Easter, stargazer, and casa blanca, can cause kidney failure in cats. Although the toxic component has not yet been identified, it is clear that even very small amounts of lily can lead to severe kidney damage.
swallow Hemp It can lead to pet central nervous system depression and lack of coordination, as well as vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, increased heart rate, and even seizures and coma, even if they do not inhale.
3. Sago Palm
all parts Cycas rolled They are poisonous, but the seeds or “nuts” contain the largest amount of poison. Eating just one or two seeds can cause very serious effects, including vomiting, diarrhea, depression, seizures, and liver failure.
4. Tulip/daffodil bulbs
Tulip and daffodil bulb parts contain toxins that can cause severe gastrointestinal irritation, drooling, loss of appetite, central nervous system depression, convulsions, and heart disorders.
5. Azalea / Rhododendron
Members of the Rhododendron family contain substances known as cyanotoxins, which can cause vomiting, drooling, diarrhea, weakness, and depression of the central nervous system in animals. Severe azalea poisoning can eventually lead to coma and death due to cardiovascular collapse.
all parts Nerium oleander It is considered toxic, because it contains cardiac glycosides that have the potential to cause serious effects including gastrointestinal irritation, abnormal heart function, hypothermia and even death.
7. Castor bean
The toxic principle in Common sign It is ricin, a highly toxic protein that can cause severe abdominal pain, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, extreme thirst, weakness, and loss of appetite. Severe poisonings can lead to dehydration, muscle twitching, tremors, seizures, coma, and death.
Cyclamen species contain cyclamen, but the highest concentration of this toxic component is usually found in the root part of the plant. If ingested, cyclamen can cause significant gastrointestinal irritation, including severe vomiting. Deaths have also been reported in some cases.
This plant contains components that can cause gastrointestinal irritation, as well as components that are toxic to the heart, and can seriously affect the heart rhythm and heart rate.
It contains a toxic substance known as a taxane, which causes central nervous system effects such as tremors, uncoordination, and difficulty breathing. It can also cause significant gastrointestinal irritation and heart failure, which can lead to death.
These common garden plants are very popular around the holidays and contain toxins that can cause vomiting, depression, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypersalivation, loss of appetite, and tremors.
12. Autumn crocus
swallow Colchicum is autumn Pets can cause mouth irritation, vomiting blood, diarrhea, shock, multiple organ damage, and bone marrow suppression.
These popular flowers are part of the Compositae family, which contain pyrethrins that may cause gastrointestinal upset, including drooling, vomiting and diarrhea, if ingested. In some cases depression and loss of coordination may also develop if enough of any part of the plant is consumed.
14. English Ivy
Also called branching ivy, ice ivy, embroidered ivy, sweetheart ivy, and California ivy. Ivy snail It contains triterpenoid saponins which, if ingested by pets, can lead to vomiting, abdominal pain, hypersalivation and diarrhea.
15. Peace Lily (also known as Mauna Loa Peace Lily)
Peace lily Contains calcium oxalate crystals that can cause mouth irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty swallowing, severe burning and irritation of the mouth, lips and tongue in pets that swallow.
Buthos (both Syndapsos And Epiprimum) belongs to the Araceae family. If chewed or ingested, this popular houseplant can cause significant mechanical irritation and swelling of the tissues of the mouth and other parts of the digestive tract.
Schefflera And Brassae actinophila It contains calcium oxalate crystals that can cause mouth irritation, excessive drooling, vomiting, difficulty swallowing, and severe burning and irritation of the mouth, lips, and tongue in pets that ingest it.
This article has been updated in conjunction with AI technology, fact-checked and edited by a HowStuffWorks editor.