To learn more about this, I spoke to Andre Neumann, a garden design expert at Designer Home Spas, who cautioned that not every plant is safe indoors. He expressed the importance of parents and animal lovers doing their research before adding plants to their homes, especially since some plants can cause respiratory problems, vomiting, and even death.
Before we get started, take a look at more of our houseplant guides:
How do you keep your houseplants alive when you go on vacation?
6 strange ways to keep your houseplants alive and thriving
5 things you should know before adding houseplants to your bathroom
1. Easter lily
The sweet-smelling Easter lily is a beautiful plant that can make any home attractive to others, but eating a small amount or even rubbing it can cause death in cats and serious health problems in children.
Andre saysAll parts of the Easter lily plant are toxic to children, and even ingesting the pollen can cause vomiting, stomach cramps, dizziness, and collapse. If you find that your little one has eaten an Easter lily, take him to the emergency room immediately. “The plant can be fatal to cats as well, while dogs are more likely to cause internal nuisance.”
2. Ivy Helix
Hedera Helix is a climbing plant that can be found both indoors and outdoors. While the plant can add life to your home, if you have children or pets you will want to avoid it.
Andre saysAs a climbing plant, the vines can often droop which may cause your children or pets to become interested in them. Hedera Helix is a plant that can cause severe vomiting and breathing problems if ingested“.
3. Peace lily
Peace lilies are often used in low-light rooms as they can thrive when exposed to two hours of sunlight per day. This makes it a popular choice with homeowners, but you shouldn’t own one if you have children or pets.
“Eating one of these plants can cause a lot of pain and swelling in the lips and throat. While adults know not to eat the plants, young children may see the attractive leaves and take a bite. Cats and dogs are not safe either. Eating any part of the plant can lead to a sore throat“Andre warns.
Daffodils are a symbol of spring and can undoubtedly lift the mood of any room, but bringing daffodils indoors is not something you should consider if you have young children or pets living at home.
Andre saysDaffodils can cause serious health conditions such as increased heart rate, high blood pressure, and death in young children, and can cause seizures in dogs and respiratory problems in cats.“.
The ZZ plant is a good plant for beginners because it thrives with very little sunlight and water, making it ideal for those with little time. However, Andre suggested otherwise:
“While this plant is beginner-friendly, it should not be owned by pet parents or owners as it can cause a wide range of health issues ranging from stomach pain to vomiting.” He said.