Indoor plants that are toxic to dogs

Indoor plants that are toxic to dogs

10 Common Indoor Plants That Are Toxic to Dogs


1. Aloe vera

The beautiful aloe vera plant is mostly safe for dogs. Puppies can ingest both the juice and gel found inside the aloe vera plant, but chewing the plant can release toxins called Anthraquinone glycosides. This can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and digestive problems.

Alternative: Haworthia. It looks similar to small spines, but does not pose the same threat as a cactus.

Philodendron is toxic to dogs


2. Philodendron

Philodendron plants may turn your home into a lush jungle, but they can be very harmful to your dog. If ingested, they can cause digestive problems, including diarrhea and vomiting.

Alternative: Swedish ivy. It looks beautiful when placed on a shelf or placed on a side table.

The jade plant is toxic to dogs


3. Jade plant

The jade plant can be considered a very lucky plant, but not for your pets. Although they are known to be very toxic to both cats and dogs, there is not much knowledge about the toxins themselves. If ingested, they can cause slowed heart rate as well as depression.

Alternative: Christmas cactus. This plant has red succulent bulbs instead, but is as difficult to kill as the jade plant.

Ficus is toxic to dogs


4. Ficus

The entire ficus family, including the popular fiddle leaf and rubber tree, are not safe for dogs to eat. These plants contain insoluble calcium oxalate which can cause mouth irritation, drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing if bitten.

Alternative: Prayer plant. A beautiful alternative that looks aesthetically just like a violin leaf.

Snake plant is toxic to dogs


5. Snake plant

Commonly used in bathrooms and damp areas of the home, snake plant or mother-in-law’s tongue is definitely not good for your dog. Not only does it have that nasty spike at the top of the paper, that isIt can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea if ingested.

Alternative: Phalaenopsis Orchid. Great for humid environments, it has the same exotic feel as a snake plant.

The sago palm is toxic to dogs


6. Sago palm

This plant may be exotic and tropical, and it’s definitely a stranger to your little ones’ stomachs. Every part of this plant is toxic to dogs, from the seeds and roots to the fronds. The poison in it, cycadin, can cause vomiting and diarrhea. In severe cases, it can lead to seizures, lethargy, and liver failure.

Alternative: Nakheel Salon. Maintain tropical vibes with a plant that grows tall and is similar in size to a sago palm.

Monstera is toxic to dogs


7. Monstera deliciosa

Swiss cheese is very popular in all styles of homes, but it can cause severe heartburn and irritation in pets. While no “poisoning” occurs in the digestive system or body, the discomfort in the mouth is enough to choose a different plant.

Alternative: cast iron plant. Although it is not the same leaf shape, the similar deep green shade will keep you within your design desires.

Pothos is toxic to dogs


8. Pothos or devil’s ivy

The devil is in the name, and it is a demonic pet. The culprit in this plant is again Calcium oxalate crystals found in the leaves, which can irritate your dog’s mouth and cause severe swelling and burning.

Alternative: spider plant. They also look great from a hanging basket!

Elephant ears are toxic to dogs


9. Elephant ear

The colorful leaves of elephant ear plants may make them an attractive option, but if they look appealing to your pup, stick with an alternative. This plant contains The sharp calcium oxalate crystals found in its leaves can irritate a dog’s mouth, causing swelling, burning, difficulty breathing, and sometimes death.

Alternative: Peperomia caperata. With a similar leaf shape and annual blooming flowers, these may be better than elephant ear.

Peace lily is toxic to dogs


10. Peace lily

One of my all-time favorite houseplants, the peace lily is unfortunately toxic to dogs. All plants in the lily family can cause organ failure in dogs if ingested.

Alternative: money tree. This may bring you good luck!

Signs of poisoning in dogs

It can be very scary if your puppy becomes ill, especially in the case of poisoning. If you already have any of these plants in your home, it is extremely important to be able to identify when your dog is sick. Here are the most common signs of poisoning in dogs:

  • Vomiting and diarrhea
  • Anorexia
  • Weakness or lethargy
  • Seizures
  • Excessive drooling
  • Changes in behavior
  • Abdominal pain or stiffness

What to do if your dog eats a poisonous plant?

If you notice a leaf missing from your feral, or your dog is acting unusual, the first thing you should do is go to the vet.

In cases of seizures or severe symptoms, you should contact an emergency veterinarian or an animal poison control center (Animal poison helpline:1300869738) It may be the best option for you. Do not try to treat your dog at home.

It can be very stressful to see your dog in pain or have an emergency, so learning about potential toxins, both on and off the lawn, is always a great idea. Likewise, making sure you have all the correct vet phone numbers and addresses at the ready is very helpful in these scenarios.

In terms of recovery, your pup can certainly recover from plant poisoning. Poisoning is actually very common in dogs, and veterinarians know exactly how to treat their symptoms.

If your dog is treated by a professional, he or she can make a full recovery and run you around in circles as usual!

You may also like...

Leave a Reply