The Ballarat Begonia Festival returns on the 2024 Labor Day long weekend
Ballarat Begonia Festival 2024
- when: From Saturday 9 to Monday 11 March 2024
- time: From 10 am to 5 pm
- where: Ballarat Botanic Gardens, Ballarat
- price: Admission is free, with food, drink, merchandise and experiences available for purchase
Stay up to date with what’s happening within the region’s art scene here.
The festival will showcase an impressive collection of rare begonias, bringing the Conservatory back into the limelight. This year, the show pays homage to the redevelopment of Ballarat Fernery, one of Australia’s oldest fern factories, which is set to open in time for the festival. Visitors can expect an exciting display inspired by the spiral shapes of fern fronds.
Weekend Activities: Flowers, parades and more!
- Begonia parade: The 2024 Power FM Begonia Parade is set to dazzle on Monday 11 March, featuring more than 30 community groups, schools and local businesses in a vibrant parade along Wendouree Parade.
- Begonia messages: In the heart of Ballarat’s CBD, the iconic Begonia Letters will showcase the work of traditional owner and artist Billy O’Toole.
- Family entertainment: For aspiring green thumbs, the festival offers children’s activities including a giant maze, a live butterfly tent, an insect exploration zone, arts and crafts, the Integra Tiny Town (featuring tiny cubes for families to self-explore), and face painters.
- Itinerant entertainment: Bright and beautiful bees, butterflies and ladybugs will wander around on stilts in the Ballarat Botanic Gardens throughout the festival, ready for photo ops.
- Markets: Explore the market stalls featuring a variety of plants, flowers and garden-related gifts.
- Food and drink: Immerse yourself in Ballarat’s culinary scene with local beers, wines and spirits available at Begonia Bar, along with two areas hosting food trucks.
Whether you’re an experienced gardener or just looking for a fun, thriving time, this festival has something for everyone.
Visit ballaratbegoniafestival.com for updates and stay tuned for a full announcement of the event program in February 2024.