Top 12 Plant Nurseries & Garden Centers in Greater Houston
Grow a thriving garden or design your next landscape with garden decor, plants and workshops at local plant nurseries and garden centers throughout Greater Houston.
Whether you’re looking to start a succulent garden, looking for that rare exotic garden perfect for Houston’s climate, or just trying to figure out how to keep your plants alive, the greater Houston area is full of locally owned nurseries and garden centers that can help you achieve it all.
We’ve linked dozens of the best plant nurseries in Greater Houston to help you on your gardening journey, from long-time neighborhood staples to hidden gems where visitors are welcome to wander for hours.
Plant Nurseries and Garden Centers in Greater Houston
Heights and North Houston
- Buchanan’s native upland plants – On 11th Street, this beloved nursery has been producing perennials and native plants for Houstonians for nearly 40 years. Wander through spacious Highland digs to find the hardy plants you need to survive Houston’s climate, plus herbs, vegetables, trees, shrubs, roses and garden decor. Book a place in one of their classes and workshops to level up your gardening knowledge. From 9 AM to 6 PM daily.
- The cactus king is on the north side – The exotic nursery just north of Little York Road specializes in growing succulents, cacti and agaves across 15 greenhouses with an impressive regional diversity. A popular place for landscapers and professionals, individuals can find access to a wholesale supply of succulents that they can bring home to their own collection. Monday to Saturday 9am to 5pm; Closed on Sundays.
- Joshua’s native plants and gardens of the Highlands Located two blocks east of Shepherd Drive at 18th Street, this family-run nursery specializes in a variety of plants native to the Gulf Coast, making it a great place for beginners and experienced green folk alike. Succulents are popular here, as is the wide range of containers and antique garden decor. Tuesday to Sunday from 9am to 5pm.
- JRN Nursery in North Houston – Just off TX-249 in North Houston, JRN Nursery has been offering a variety of plants, from native plants to far-flung Asia-Pacific species, since 1986. Whether you’re looking for houseplants or rare varieties, stop by to pick out your favorite foliage Trees, fruit trees, flowers and more. Monday to Saturday 9am to 6pm; Sunday from 10 am to 5 pm.
- Zone 9 Tropical highlands This retail nursery in the Heights specializes in rare and uncommon plants, and is only open on weekends, although you can check out their online store at any time. There you can find edible plants from all over the world, rich fragrances, ginger plants, vibrant flowering trees, bonsai ornaments, and more. Saturday and Sunday noon to 5 p.m.
Tomball, Spring, Kingwood
- Tree Gate in Tomball – The Quirky Arboretum in Tomball, known as “The Gateway,” is positively filled with floor-to-ceiling garden decor, as well as specialty collections and unusual plants to fill your home grown beds. “Hard to find but easy to grow” is a slogan of sorts for The Gate, but just in case your confidence is lacking, on-site classes and workshop events will ensure you know the best farming practices. Sunday to Wednesday from 9 am to 5 pm; Thursday to Saturday from 9 am to 6 pm.
- Plants for all seasons in Tomball and spring – With two locations (one on Louetta Road and one along TX-249), this family-owned and operated nursery has been serving the gardening needs of Houstonians since 1973. This full-service garden center can help you search for shrubs, flowers, perennials, herbs, vegetables and more, It also provides delivery, planting and custom potting services. From 9 AM to 5 PM daily.
- Warren South Gardens is located in Kingwood – For the past decade, this family-owned garden center in Kingwood has been serving all gardening skill levels, helping visitors find quality plants, trees, shrubs, flowers and more while also running a full landscape and design department that can help you turn your garden into an oasis. Monday to Saturday 9am to 5:30pm; Sunday from 10 am to 5 pm.
Sugar Land, Rosenberg, Seabrook
- Caldwell Nursery in Rosenberg – Located just outside the Fort Bend County Fairgrounds, this horticultural center serves year-round gardening needs with a wide selection of exotic and rare plants, including plants that specialize in bamboo. Stop by to explore 6 acres of unusual and native plants and don’t forget to come back in the spring to learn about hard-to-find rose varieties. Wednesday to Saturday from 9am to 5:30pm.
- Cornelius Nursery in West Houston, Katy, Galveston and Sugar Land -This Houston nursery was originally founded in 1937 (it’s now part of Calloway’s Nursery with locations throughout Texas) and operates four locations, including the recently opened Tom’s Thumb storefront in Galveston. Longtime garden suppliers pack tons of plants to enhance your flower beds, as well as a wide selection of succulents, trees, and more. From 9am to 6pm daily at all locations.
- The gardens and enchanted forests of Rosenberg – Together these two garden centers make up Enchanted Nurseries, with the gardens located north of Rosenberg, and the forest about 15 minutes south of Sugar Land. Enchanted Gardens is an extensive center for all skill levels of gardeners with a large selection of plants, trees (including fruit trees), flowers and decor. Nestled among native Texas trees, Enchanted Forest offers gorgeous lands and a picturesque environment for your agricultural needs. Together, both locations offer an uncrowded experience amidst truly scenic surroundings. Monday to Saturday 8am to 5pm; Sunday 10am to 4pm.
- MAS Nursery in Seabrook Located near the residential neighborhoods dotting the coast of Trinity Bay, Mass City is known for its sprawling collection of thousands of plants suitable for Houston’s climate, in an environment that is positively worth wandering and where visitors can easily spend hours among the plants. Monday to Saturday 9am to 5pm; Sunday from 10 am to 5 pm.